The incredible advantages of substituting your table salt with Himalayan Salt.
Article written by Phillip Day but fully supported by Dr Tim Errington, Total Health Chiropractic
‘Your table salt is actually 97.5% sodium chloride and 2.5% chemicals such as moisture absorbents and iodine. Dried at over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, the excessive heat alters the natural chemical structure of the salt causing the potential for a myriad of health problems in your body.’ – Dr Joseph Mercola
Common table salt is a poison, refined from Nature’s storehouse to remove all elements but sodium chloride. Some say we ended up with this particular compound due to industry’s colossal use of it. Whatever the reason, table salt is not real ‘salt’ and its dangers are well touted:
- It destabilizes blood pressure
- It can cause cellulite, kidney stones and rheumatism
- It can upset your fluid balance
- It acts as a diuretic (expels water from cells)
- It is a cell-toxin
- It contains the endocrine disrupters, fluoride and iodine
- It contains fillers such as calcium carbonate and aluminum hydroxide, the latter aluminum implicated in Alzheimer’s Disease
Some PR job to convince the world we need it, eh?
Yet ‘salt’ is essential for the body’s systems. Farmers know if they don’t put out the salt blocks for their cattle, they die.
Nobody questions why doctors put seriously ill people on a saline drip. It should be real salt as nature intended, not the truncated, worse-than-useless mess made of it in the refining process.
Enter saltpan salt, sea salt, Celtic salt, and the pink Dalek of all salts, Himalayan crystallized salt, or ‘white gold‘ as it’s come to be known (light pink gold, actually).
Mercola declares that this mother-of-all-salts:
- Regulates the water content throughout your body
- Balances excess acidity from your cells, particularly your brain cells
- Balances your blood sugar levels and helps reduce your aging rate
- Assists in the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in your body and absorption of food particles through your intestinal tract
- Helps clear mucus plugs and phlegm from your lungs — particularly useful in asthma and cystic fibrosis
- Acts as a strong natural antihistamine to help clear up congestion in your sinuses
- Prevents muscle cramps
- Makes the structure of your bones firm — osteoporosis can occur when your body needs more salt and takes it from your bones
- Regulates your sleep — it is a natural hypnotic
- Maintains your libido
- Prevents varicose veins and spider veins on your legs and thighs
- Stabilizes irregular heartbeats — in conjunction with water, [salt] is actually essential for the regulation of your blood pressure
These claims are backed by evidence. Barbara Hendel MD and Peter Ferreira cover most of it in Water and Salt, The Essence of Life, and world renowned water guru, Dr FereydoonBatmanghelidj’s writes extensively on the subject.
Our advice: Switch to Himalayan salt or at least a whole salt. Table salt is just that – sodium chloride.Himalayan salt is sodium chloride plus 82 other minerals in its natural, crystalline form, all ready to feed metabolic processes the way nature intended. There are other advantages.
Get ‘Sole’ and slap it all over
Topical applications and baths in whole salt solutions have been found to help with psoriasis, eczema, toenail fungus, insect bites, rheumatism and arthritis, acne, ear infections, nasal congestion and sore throats. The solution used is known as sole, (pronounced so-lay). Take a container of water and start mixing Himalayan salt crystals into it, stirring well, until the salt no longer dissolves. The solution is now 26% saturated and sterile, so can be reused. Sole in a hot water bowl can be inhaled as a decongestant for blocked sinuses since it is antiseptic and ideal for bacterial/fungal/yeast conditions.