Forward Head Posture, Slouching Spine? Reversed Neck Curve?
What does this really mean?
It means that sitting at a desk all day is causing your spine to lose its natural balance, becoming unstable and structurally weak. It is leading to ever worsening posture, which unfortunately will always have enormous detrimental effects on your health.
This unfortunate posture puts unnecessary physical stress on the vertebrae, causing degenerative changes, osteoarthritis or spondylitis, degenerative disc disease and worse still it causes strain or tension on the spinal cord (central nervous system) and nerve roots. Increasing nerve pressure is the reason poor posture is strongly associated with failing health.
Feels Bad – Postural muscles overwork to counterbalance gravitational forces. Leads to strain, chronic stiffness, constant achiness, loss of sensation, tingling & numbness, shoulder and arm pain.
Looks bad – Severe forward head is usually accompanied with forward shoulder and rounded hunch back. Not very pretty and undermines confidence levels.
Bad for the employer – Worsening posture and the gradual onset of “Sitting Disease” inevitably leads to loss of productivity due to MC’s, loss of concentration and disconnection.
Summary of detrimental effects
- Loss of structural balance.
- Increased rate of spinal degeneration.
- Diminished blood supply to tissues.
- Tension to Spinal Cord and Brain-stem.
- Nerve root impingement.
- Thinning spinal discs – high chance of prolapse (slipped disc).
- Formation of bone spurs.
- Spinal Stenosis.
- Neck and shoulder pain.
- Stiffness, restricted motion and muscle pain.
- Spinal buckling.
- Loss of height.
- Restricted breathing, digestive disorders, impaired immune system etc.
- Postural distortion leading to Low Back Pain.
- Premature ageing with loss of vitality.
- Increasing pain reminds us all is not well.
- Gradual loss of health and increase in absenteeism.
Etc etc etc
It’s time to engage
If your people are sitting all day at computers or work stations then the above changes ARE happing slowly but surely. Gradually your work force are losing their balance and homeostasis is more of a struggle. Inevitably this will be reflected in your bottom line. It’s time to engage and talk to us about how we can help you get the best from tour most important resource.
Call us on the following numbers and see how we can help Dr Tim: 9635 8883 Vanessa: 9635 8883