What does this really mean?
It means your spine has lost its balance, becoming unstable and structurally weak. It is leading to ever worsening posture, which unfortunately will always have enormous detrimental effects on your health.
This unfortunate posture puts unnecessary physical stress on the vertebrae, causing degenerative changes, osteoarthritis or spondylitis, degenerative disc disease and worse still it causes strain or tension on the spinal cord (central nervous system) and nerve roots. Increasing nerve pressure is the reason poor posture is strongly associated with failing health.
Feels Bad – Postural muscles overwork to counterbalance gravitational forces. Leads to strain, chronic stiffness, constant achiness, loss of sensation, tingling & numbness, shoulder and arm pain.
Looks bad – Severe forward head is usually accompanied with forward shoulder and rounded hunch back. Not very pretty
Summary of detrimental effects
- Loss of structural balance.
- Increased rate of spinal degeneration.
- Diminished blood supply to tissues.
- Tension to Spinal Cord and Brain-stem.
- Nerve root impingement.
- Thinning spinal discs – high chance of prolapse (slipped disc).
- Formation of bone spurs.
- Spinal Stenosis.
- Neck and shoulder pain.
- Stiffness, restricted motion and muscle pain.
- Spinal buckling.
- Loss of height.
- Restricted breathing, digestive disorders, impaired immune system etc.
- Postural distortion leading to Low Back Pain.
- Premature ageing with loss of vitality.
- Increasing pain reminds us all is not well.
- Etc etc etc
Find out about Dr Tim’s MUST READ book “POSTURE MATTERS”