This is usually caused by chronic repetitive use of the hands, particularly with the wrist extended, as is most commonly experienced whilst typing on a keyboard. Of course, there can be many other causes e.g. a chef/cook holding pans incorrectly etc.
Whatever the reason, carpal tunnel syndrome can be very disabling and can result in atrophy (wasting) of the muscles of the hands, the inability to grasp objects and loss of function.
Basically, this condition occurs due to compression of the median nerve as it crosses the wrist. The median nerve travels from the middle of the neck and down to the fingers, specifically providing nerve supply to the thumb and index finger.
Unfortunately, traditional treatments, including surgical intervention, often have no effect and the syndrome is often misdiagnosed.
If you feel you are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome, try this exercise at the beginning of the day:
1. Extend both arms straight out in front of you.
2. Extend your wrists and fingers back (as if directing traffic to stop).
3. Hold this position for 5 seconds.
4. Now straighten your wrists and relax your fingers.
5. With your arms still straight out in front of you, keep your wrists straight, make a fist, and squeeze it tightly.
6. Hold this position for 5 seconds.
7. Keep your fists clenched and bend your wrists down.
8. Hold this position for 5 seconds.
9. Straighten both wrists and relax your fingers again.
10. Repeat this 9 more times.
Very often symptoms mimicking carpal tunnel syndrome are actually coming from the neck. If the nerves are being stretched, pinched or twisted as they leave the neck due to arthritis, misalignment or poor posture, this can cause adverse effects down the arms into the hands.
Fortunately, at Total Health Chiropractic, we have had great success with carpal tunnel syndrome and related disorders. This problem of pain and debilitation can persist for years if not correctly diagnosed and treated so if you, or anyone you know, suffers from this condition, please give us a call on +65 6224 6326.
“Within 5 visits, the numbness and tingling in my hand and fingers had gone. Thank you Dr Errington.You have saved me from having surgery’.